Sunday, December 29, 2019

S.L.J 2019/2020

Dear Jacinda



For this activity, please write a letter that includes the issue you have chosen, why you have chosen it, and what you would like our Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, to do about it. It is your job to persuade us (and her!) that it’s an important issue.



Dear Prime minister Jacinda Ardern


I vigorously believe that sign language should also be apart of school. In this writing I will explain how important sign language is.

English, Maori and sign languages are the three official languages of New Zealand. Schools are already teaching English and a bit Maori but my question is why not sign language as well? I agree with Jess that one of the reasons might be that teachers might not know sign language.


I think that school might even need a teacher for that of if not then someone that can teach kids that. If was aloud then I would like to take the time to learn then teach sign language. If you get to a stage where you have to do work or something with a deaf and mute person then being able to communicate will them will come in hand.

Did you know that there are 466 million people with hearing loss in the world.


Thank you for reading my letter
Sincerely
Priyansha

1 comment:

  1. Hi Priya,

    I am very impressed with your letter to Jacinda. I like that you have clearly stated what the purpose of your letter is at the start and then supported this with your evidence outlining why it is an important issue to address. I particularly like that you have included statistical facts as evidence too. 466 million people with hearing loss in the world, that is quite a lot isn’t it?

    I do think that your suggestion that the reason it isn’t taught in a lot of schools is because not many teachers know how to sign themselves. I think this could be true. I am a teacher and sign language is not something we are taught at university. It is something I would definitely like to learn and teach to my students though. I agree it is important, because it is an official language of NZ.

    Thank you for your thoughtful post Priya. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this issue. Perhaps with more people like you and Jess understanding the importance of it, we might see a change in schools in the future.

    Keep up the great work!

    Leisha
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.